3/4/16

A ray of light in the darkness...

Carla was struggling with a fever all last weekend, Bobby and I were out of town and so Roger and Tammy took very good care of her.  I don't know if I've shared this recently, but Carla has had a terrible phlegmy cough since her pneumonia back in September. She has most recently just gotten off about 40 days of antibiotics... and she is still dealing with the problematic cough. I emailed the transplant team about the cough and fever and called Dr. Maynard, Carla's pediatrician on Tuesday morning. Tuesday afternoon, I got a call from the pediatrician's office and was advised that Seattle wanted us to bring Carla in for yet ANOTHER sputum sample and nose swab to do a virus panel. The nose swab is the worst, because it is painful and she remembers it, because she's had WAY TOO MANY.  There was a lot of crying and fighting involved, and I tell you what, that girl is strong when she is being threatened by the likes of two nurses and a Mommy trying to swab out her nose! Afterwards I took her out and bought her a computer game and we had  a really fun dinner together. She is such a sweetheart and told me, "I'm sorry you had to go through that, and I'm sorry I bit you." I told her, I was sorry that SHE had to go through that, and if she bites me again, I'll bite her back ;)

Wednesday, Dr. Debley, the lung doc from Seattle called. He wanted us to get a chest x-ray as well as to actually see the pediatrician (we just stopped in for cultures on Tuesday). So, we went back to see Dr. M. Wednesday after school. Dr. D was concerned that with us being here that we couldn't run the tests that he felt needed to be run. He was thinking about having Carla admitted to Children's for a CT Scan as well as a bronchial scope to get a sample from her lungs. He was thinking that she might be aspirating to continue to have such a persistent cough. And, because she suffers from a paralyzed vocal cord, aspirating would not be a far reach. Dr. D said that he had planned on calling Carla's pediatrician and that I would hear back from him later. About 15 minutes later, Dr. D. called me back and told me that Carla's sputum sample from January had a certain bacteria that the antibiotics she was on wouldn't have treated! And, that the same bacteria was starting to grow in the new sample. This was great news, because if we just need to try a different antibiotic, that would be way better than having to be admitted to Children's for a battery of tests! Yesterday, I got the call from Dr. M's office that the culture did in fact grow a bunch of the bacteria!  So, I ran back in to town for the new antibiotic!  Let's pray that it works and that Carla will FINALLY get some relief from this horrible cough.

Here is a cute picture of Carla Tuesday at dinner, she is such a little sweetheart...

Love, Jen

1 comment:

The mom of 4 monkeys! said...

I hope your sweet and brave girl will feel better soon!💜💙