Continuing with our vacation post... Thursday night after dinner we walked down to the ocean... here are a couple of pictures of Carla, loving the ocean... 

Friday we made our way further down the coast... We intended on making it all the way to Eureka, CA, but realized on the way that a) Eureka was WAY TOO FAR and b) if we went all the way to Eureka we would miss the Trees of Mystery in the Redwood forest, and the Gondola ride that we were planning on taking. So, we ended up stopping in Brookings, OR. Unfortunately, our good luck with finding a Comfort Inn ran out, the Best Western was booked and the only other place with a pool ended up being somewhat of a flea bag. But, we survived!  Carla swam, met friends and had a fun time.  And we had no reason to linger in the morning, so got an early-ish start Friday morning. Here are the pics from Friday and Saturday... 

A lighthouse that claims to be "the most photographed" lighthouse in the world.  

Carla and I with the lighthouse.

As we made our way down the coast we found this... it was pretty cool.

Most of the Sea Lions had made their way south, but there were a couple...

Say Cheese!

Carla, reading the information to us...
Around 10:00 a.m. Saturday morning, we made it to the Trees of Mystery in Klamath, California. We loved this place and spent a couple of hours hiking around, taking the Gondola and finally having some lunch.  It was a lot of fun!
Carla with Paul Bunyan and Babe. 

Carla and I, with Paul & Babe.

Even better!  Family Selfie with Paul & Babe!

Hiking to the Gondola.

Posing with trees.

Bobby and I, Carla wanted us to pose like we were getting married, because people get married in that spot. 

In front of the alter at the Cathedral Trees (where people get married).

Look at that huge tree behind us!

Getting on the Gondola 

Taking a ride!

First time any of us have ever been on a Gondola family selfie!

We were way up there!

At the top of the gondola ride. 

Carla is becoming quite the budding photographer

Carla and Bobby with some cool carvings on the way down... 

Our tired Toot with the "Pooped Logger"


And she's spent....
We left the Trees of Mystery around 12:30, and we were all pretty tired. We would have stopped around 4:30 or 5:00, but we found ourselves in the middle of Wine Country on a Saturday and there were no nice places to stay.  So, we made it to Sacramento around 9:00 or so.  Rina and the twins (Abby & Madison) came over to Auntie Jeannette's house to welcome our arrival. 
Carla and her cousins, getting their Minecraft on.

Sunday morning (Father's Day) we had a family breakfast with the Yims!  Carla got to meet the rest of her California cousins. 
From left to right Dean, Adam, Madison, Carla, Abby & Heather.  

Digging for worms.
After Breakfast we decided to go to Old Sacramento and check out the train museum.
Everybody hold hands!  

Carla and Abby

cousins at the Museum...
After the train museum we got some lunch and then met up at an Ice Cream shop called Gunther's...
Carla and Madison, with ice cream faces...

Now Abby joins in, with her ice cream face! 

And then we got Heather in the shot too, even though she seems to know how to not get ice cream all over her mug :)  
Monday morning, Heather, Madison and Abby had art classes. We took Carla to the doctor because she had been complaining of ear pain - turned out she had swimmer's ear!  She had been swimming almost every day before we left for Seattle and then Wednesday, Thursday and Friday at hotels. We got her started on some antibiotic ear drops.  Later in the day the girls came over to Jeannette's house for a visit and we all ended up going to see Inside Out and having dinner together too.  
Singing and dancing with YouTube.

Heather is such a little darling.

Cousin Wayne

Madison and Carla...

Auntie Jeannette playing while Carla sang.
Tuesday we were going to go to San Francisco but decided against it because Carla's ear was still hurting.  We thought we would give the ear drops another day before we took her out on the more than likely windy bay.  We did, however, buy tickets to take a five hour tour around San Francisco on Wednesday. And, we got some long overdue visiting in with Beth. 

Wednesday we got up ready for adventure!  To be safe, we gave ourselves two and a half hours, even though two hours should have been ample.   But, we didn't want to be stressed or rushed, so figured earlier was better.  Unfortunately, there must have been some kind of traffic disaster, because traffic was backed up starting around Berkley and we spent about an hour waiting in line to pay our toll to cross the Bay Bridge. It was evident that we were going to miss our tour... and that all the money we spent on it was going to be lost, because the tickets clearly said "no refunds for missed tours"  Luckily, the tour company called while we were stuck at the toll. I explained that we had been stuck in line at the toll station for over an hour, and they offered to reschedule us for the next day instead. We were super relieved! We thought about turning around and going back to Sacramento, but then decided that since we were there anyway, we would do some of the stuff that our tour wasn't going to have us doing...  Mainly, we hit Fisherman's Wharf and had lunch at Bubba Gumps.  It was pretty cool :) 

At the end of the wharf, with Alcatraz 

Also with Alcatraz

Carla, taking a picture of Bobby and I.

At Bubba Gumps 

Look what we found!  A giant heart for our little heart baby. 
After lunch at Bubba Gumps.

Thursday morning we were more prepared!  Wednesday, after getting stuck in the toll "cash" lanes, we figured out that we needed a Fastrak to get through there in a timely manner.  After some investigating, we figured out that we could purchase one at Costco in Sacramento. Auntie Jeannette took me there and I was able to purchase what we needed! Woot Woot!  As I as setting up the account Rina came over, she said that she actually needed to buy a Fastrak, and since we didn't need it after Thursday, we just signed up all of her information to the device and then gave it to her after we were done with it! Thursday we left the house an hour early than we had on Wednesday, and we had the Fastrak. We passed through the toll station, in the HOV lane like a boss!  There were no lines and no waiting!  We were stoked! We ended up at the Ferry Building an hour and forty-five minutes early for our tour, but it was cool because it gave us time to wander around, eat some dairy free pastries and be calm and ready for the day!  And the day was FABULOUS!

dairy free pastries  
Carla and I in front of the Ferry Building

Bobby and I with the city behind us.

Bobby and I with the Ferry Building in the background

Carla and Bobby with the city behind them. 

The first part of our tour was to take a ferry over to Sausalito and have lunch.
Bobby and Carla on the Ferry
We found a fabulous place to have lunch called Napa Valley Burgers
Trying out a local beer (one of my favorite past-times).

With,  literally,  the BEST burger I have EVER eaten in my entire life!  

At Napa Valley Burgers (they have the same look on their faces).
After lunch we met up with the rest of the group at this fountain, and boarded a shuttle bus, which took us over the Golden Gate Bridge, and to the Golden Gate Bridge Park.

Silly on our bus.

Oh happy days...

Golden Gate Bridge Park

Bobby :)

Carla and I at the Golden Gate Bridge Park

After the Golden Gate Bridge Park, we continued our adventures... this is the Palace of Fine Arts, it was built for the 1915 World's Fair, and restored in the 1950s.  You may recognize it from a bunch of different movies.
Our little Wright Family,  minus one.

Two of my favorite people.

After taking photos at the Palace of Fine Arts, we headed over to Alamo Square Park to see the Seven Sisters (Seven Victorian Homes built side by side on Steiner Street). These seven Painted Ladies were built in the 1890's and have appeared in many movies and TV shows, you may remember them from the beginning of Full House.

After seeing the Seven Sisters, we headed over to an Episcopal Cathedral called, Grace Cathedral.
In front of the Doors of Paradise, these doors are replicas of the famous doors by the Florentine Renaissance Master, Lorenzo Ghiberti (1378-1455)

From the Grace Cathedral we drove over to the Cable Car Museum and walked through China Town and to a fortune cookie factory.
In front of an old cable car.

Walking in China Town

Eating a little fortune cookie pancake. 

After walking through China Town, we headed over to walk Lombard Street, also known as The Crooked Street.  It was a difficult trek, so Bobby stayed with Carla while I took the beautiful walk.
One of the turns...
A picture of me at the bottom of Lombard Street.

Friday morning we got a late start for Boise to see Adam and Jennifer. We had stayed up visiting with Beth until all hours of the morning, so we needed the extra sleep. Our time with the Yims was so much fun and we are very happy that we finally had a chance to visit. Since we made it to Boise pretty late, Jennifer was already in bed, but we stayed up visiting  with Adam until we couldn't keep our eyes open any longer, he is such an awesome big brother and I am so blessed that he is mine. Saturday morning they took us to check out their gym, Bronco Crossfit, and then out for brunch, ice cream, and meandering in Boise. Fun was had by all!!!   

Jennifer & Adam

Carla and I with Adam & Jennifer at Bronco Crossfit

Eating ice cream at Goodies, in Boise.
Carla with Aunt Jennifer & Uncle Adam, at Goodies .
Sunday morning we started our way home... Carla had to say goodbye to her new doggie friends, Jill & Olga...
Love you Jillie :)

Saying goodbye to Jill & Olga

We had a short but sweet visit with Adam & Jennifer...

It was such a treat to spend these last two weeks with family and seeing the sights together.  All that being said, it is wonderful to be home. Home Sweet Home.

Love, Jen

No comments: