1/28/13

My Mom

Thursday marks the 25th anniversary of the day my Mom died, but, as my Dad says:  "Your Mom dying isn't the most important thing she ever did. ... It's just the most painful."    She gave my brothers and I more love and happiness than a lot of people get from their parents in a whole lifetime.  I will be forever grateful for the time we had her, but I sure do wish there was more time.  I wish I could call my Mom up and visit.  I wish I could hear her laugh, see her smile or feel the touch of her hand.  I love her and miss her so much and I can't even begin to explain the sorrow of losing her at such a young age has caused.  But, in return for all of that pain, I have strength.  And, I couldn't have gotten through these past few years without that strength.  So, for that I am grateful.  

I got an e-mail from an old boss of hers while Carla was in the hospital.  He said that he had a picture somewhere of my Mom walking out of a store on one  of the clinic trips they took.  He said... She's smiling like she just made someone's day, and she probably did.  That was my Mom.  

I don't have 99% of my photos here in Seattle.  But I do have some that I scanned last year when I was home for a visit.  So, enjoy :)
My Parents, at my Uncle Mark & Aunt Tara's wedding.  

At the lake with my brother Adam, and me.  The lake was a huge part of our childhood.  

Here is my brother Andy on the left, me, Mom & my brother Adam.    Hiking around at McClellan Creek, I think. 

This was Easter when I was in 5th grade, I think.  We were at my Mom's best friend, Robin's house.  

My parents, probably at Refrigerator Canyon. 

I love this picture, and even carried it around in my purse for a few years.  I love it because it is silly.  My Mom was silly and fun :)

One of the last pictures I have of us together.  

Again, being silly :)

I've been told she was pregnant with me in this picture.  This is outside of Wong's, in Helena.  

Typical Mom, sunning herself and drinking a Tab.  

Us Girls.

From left to right we have my Great Grandpa Carl (who Mom was named after) , my Uncle Dan, Aunt Georgia, Great Grandma Schiller, Dad & Mom.  

At one of the Jazz Festivals with Jack & Robin.  Did you know my Mom helped  start the Jazz Festivals in Helena...

As a girl... 16 I've been told.  I'm not sure.  

My Dad, making a good decision :)  


When Carla asks why we named her "Carla"  I tell her because I wanted to name her after one of the most awesome people I have ever known...My Mom.  

2 comments:

To Be or Not to Be said...

This post is a wonderful tribute to your mother. I especially loved the statement from your dad that dying isn't the most important thing your mom did. It's nice to know that Carla carries on her name.

Lisa Luke said...

Losing a parent is such a tough thing to have to do. This April will be 5 years since I lost my mom. I lost her at such a tough time in my life-my brother was in Iraq doing transportation security, my grandmother passed on Sunday, my mom the next day...my HLHS son was just a few months old and in the hospital interstage. That Wednesday we just about lost him as well... Somehow I imagine her making a deal with God to take her and let my little guy stay here. That is just who she was. Her father had died in a gold mining accident when she was just 10-and I always wondered what kind of a person he was. I imagine he was just like her-kind, selfless, loving, gentle, and always thinking about others. There's such a emptiness in my heart when I think about missing her so much. So many times I want to pick up the phone and ask for advice, hear her voice, or feel her hug just one more time. I'm so sorry for your loss, but am so happy that you have little Carla here to remind you of her love. I'm sure Carla is building those memories of you just as you did of your mom. Give her extra squeezes! Love and prayers to you..