11/19/12

Monday afternoon, post op day 4

Carla continues to sleep through the day.  The doctors are not alarmed about having to have put her back on the ventilator.  She had an echo this morning, has continued to receive her immune suppressing heart transplant meds, her secretions have decreased since yesterday and her x-ray looks better than yesterday too.  The plan is to not rush her...  She is getting vest treatments every 4 hours and inhaled treatments every 8 hours.  They are slowly weeing the ventilator settings and she continues to do well.    We are confident that she will pull out of all of this, but it will be in her time, not ours.  (My time would have her at home dancing around and singing by now!  Is that asking so much?)  ;)

I can't even believe it is Thanksgiving week!  We have so much to be thankful for, but I don't see us having a big dinner without either of our kids to celebrate.  I figure we can celebrate when we are all done with this stuff.  Maybe Cody can come for Christmas???  I don't know.  All I know now is that when I place my hand on my daughter's chest and feel that amazingly strong beating heart in there, I can't help but to feel so much gratitude to the parents of the child who donated this perfect heart to Carla.  We are so extremely blessed, and are so thankful for all the blessings...  I can't wait for what the future holds!

Love, Jen

3 comments:

The Smith's said...

I, too, feel so thankful for Carla's beautiful, strong, new heart! I have a good friend, Sarah, who's adopted daughter is just coming out of surgery for AV Canal defect. She has long dark hair and Nina (their daughter) is 3 and from the Congo and so precious. If you happen to run into her in the CICU, you can say you have me in common :)

Lisa Luke said...

AMEN

Sue Cox said...

So good to see Grandma Sue smiling at Carla. And I can feel more positive vibes coming off this latest blog. That makes me thankful. But, like you Jen, I'm extremely thankful for Carla's organ donor and for all organ donors. I will continue to keep you all in my thoughts & prayers.