5/11/10

From the Heart

I want you to take a look at these fingertips... Carla's just as pink as mine....can you believe it? I can't. It is so hard for me to believe that, for the first time in her life, on room air Carla is just as pink as I am.
Carla had a thoracentesis yesterday (procedure to remove her pleural effusion) and I can hardly believe the difference it has made! The doctor told us after the procedure that as they were taking the water off, that her oxygen saturation levels just started to climb...all the way into the mid-90s. When we got to see Carla after the procedure we sat and watched the machine tell us that she was at 92, 97, even 100% at one time. You can only imagine the feelings of elation a parent has, when they see their daughter truly pink for the first time.
I have to tell you, my faith had started to wane a little bit. I had been praying and praying that Carla would get better, and that the water on her lung would dissipate. But she didn't seem to get anything but worse. And then, right before the thoracentesis was scheduled, she got sick and the anesthesiologist wouldn't sedate her. I can honestly tell you that Carla's cough was NO BETTER on Monday. But, we had a different anesthesiologist on Monday, who agreed to do the sedation even though she had the cough. It was absolutely the right thing to do.
When the nurses brought Carla to a room to recover for a little while before releasing her a nurse told me that she had a lot to say when she woke up. He said that the first thing she asked for was water and that the second thing she said was "I love Jesus." You know, we say our prayers to Jesus every night...but she has never said those words before. I am so sure that Jesus was with Carla as she was going through this surgery, and I couldn't be more thankful. The doctors said that the procedure went "as well as it could have gone"....and I am sure that Jesus had a little something to do with that too. I feel that God really reached out to me yesterday and gave me a little tap on the shoulder. He said, "Don't worry, I am here and even though it seems like I'm not listening, I am." I thank you God for the reminder and for taking care of my baby and my family. I just couldn't be more thankful.
Jen


No comments: